Sunday, August 14, 2011

8/9 Harbor Island to De Tour Village and on to St. Ignace


8/9 Harbor Island to De Tour Village and on to St. Ignace



Harbor Island is just 90 minutes from De Tour, and on that hop we had to fight some big swells coming through the Detour Channel. I was a bit apprehensive about the conditions on Lake Huron and after Dana got into her Matrix to drive back home (which would take her just 8 hours, not 8 days), I set out south. It actually turned out to be very good sailing conditions, and I was able to sail towards Mackinac Island beautifully, just a few times interrupted by violent rains. By the time I reached the bridge though the wind started to really increase and veer to the west. I tacked a few times and then decided to head straight into the blow with the engine. The wind kept increasing, the waves growing, and the autopilot started acting up again. Eventually I had to give up because it was clear that under the conditions I would not find a protected anchorage before midnight. I returned to St Ignace and anchored right south of the marina, off a beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment