Tuesday, August 16, 2011

8/15 Port Sheldon to Montrose Harbor, Chicago

My secret hope was to make it to Chicago in one long trip. Going to Racine or Kenosha would have been maybe 3 hours shorter, but would mean a full extra day. So I headed out of Port Sheldon early and found that both seas and wind had calmed down considerably. (Note - Getting up early was really never a problem for me as I usually was in bed by 10PM). I hadn't gotten any new diesel since Leland, and had to be economical, so I motorsailed leisurely towards the SW. The wind picked up a little as I got further offshore, but never enough to sail without the engine.
Later in the day the wind got weaker and weaker and the waves subsided to almost nothing. I did pour the last of my diesel into the tank while on my way and continued on my most relaxing crossing, reading, cooking and dozing.
I first spotted the top of the Sears tower when still 40NM (80km!) distant from Chicago. Visibility was amazing, I think I would have seen it even further if there hadn't been the Earth's curvature. A bit humbling though to think that at my speed of 5kn  it would be another 8 hours before I'd be home...
Three large lakers passed way ahead of me, and then I was through the shipping lanes.

Rolling Home - actually, Chicago is still 25 miles away...

The sun set beautifully today and a dark red moon was rising in the east while I grilled some hot dogs and made mashed potatoes.
I relaxed a little after dinner and then cleaned the dishes, and started cleaning up inside, peeking out every 5-10 minutes. 5 Miles offshore at Wilmette in the early evening I had the lake to myself, I thought, and was shocked to see a large shadow suddenly in front of me. It looked like a large sailboat bearing right down on me and I quickly changed course. 


I then realized that the other boat wasn't nearly as close as I had first thought - it was still a few hundred yards off and as I drew closer I recognized it as the tall ship 'Niagara' that was in town for the 'Taste of tall Ships' exhibition. It was ghosting slowly North in the minimal breeze. A very impressive sight...


After that I reached Montrose Harbor at 10PM, happy to be home at last, after a 17 hour crossing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment