Tuesday, August 16, 2011

8/11 St Ignace to Great Traverse Bay

8/11 St Ignace to Great Traverse Bay
Today I got up even earlier and motored into the Straits for my third attempt. I only now noticed that I had lost my flagpole and the flag in the violence the day before. Today the winds were much more moderate and other boats showed up in the straits. And indeed, after motoring into the breeze, after 4 hours, I turned the corner south-west at the abandoned lighthouse. Unfortunately the wind decided to turn south-west too, and I ended up motoring a good deal more. Finally I started sailing and tacking to SW. I really wanted to reach Leland, but that proved impossible before evening. I sought shelter at the tip of Great Traverse Bay instead, where the anchor dug in right away. Unfortunately the spot I picked was only good for protection from SW winds, and as the wind of course shifted to S during the night, I had a rocky sleep.

My Nemesis

Apparently, not everybody thinks you need a big boat to get through here - notice the Kayak.

Plenty Traffic



No comments:

Post a Comment